Subject: start.S question
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/1996 23:16:09
Hey, I'm planning on doing some work on start.S to fix a bunch of stuff
(like, hmm, the 64MB limit and reducing dependencies on sysids, allowing
 starts on non-cylinder boundaries, be mostly geometry xlation independent
 - basically much of the stage1 from GRUB, minus the ability to reside in
 the first sector of a MS-DOS partition, and minus the hand-coded opcodes).

In the mean time, I'm wondering about some of this stuff.
1.  why care about 0:0x7c00 vs 0x7c0:0  -- aesthetics?
2.  why reset the floppy system with int 13h service 0, and NOT reset
    if loading from hard disk?
3.  why override the drive number to zero if booting from floppy? (!)

Oh, I'm thinking about using gas from binutils 2.6 so that I can use the
cool .code16 directive.  I figure that by the time my patches are
integrated we'll have it, :) but more importantly the code will be readable.
Any comments/complaints/whatever -- now be the time.