Subject: Re: Anyone have Linux Netscape working?
To: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@lust.isca.uiowa.edu>
From: Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.UMD.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/1996 14:09:18
On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Jeff Thieleke wrote:

> I haven't tried 2.01, but Atlas PR1 & PR2 seem to work fine.  But I have
> never been able to get Java to work, at all, with either the BSD/OS or
> Linux versions...

Starting with the Atlas release, Netscape became sensitive to a minor
bogon in the XFree86 distribution.  The font.dir in
usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc includes fonts that do not exist in the many
people's XFree distribution.  The result is that Java apps completely fail
to display.  The fix for Atlas's BSD/OS binary is:

[From FreeBSD's /usr/ports/www/netscape3/pkg/DESCR]

Note: If Java applets fail to display.  Type this as root:
                cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
                /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
                chmod 444 fonts.dir
      And then exit and restart your X server.

Sujal