Subject: Re: compiler is drunk ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onno van der Linden <onno@simplex.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/27/1996 12:19:03
In message <9604260007.AA03250@ gsd.harvard.edu>, Hacksaw writes:
>> Next problem!
>>
>> I am trying to compile a new kernel, having editted up a new config
>> based on GENERIC minus a bunch of pointless devices. I even added
>> patch001.
>>
>> I get two errors sporadically, Segmentation fault, and Internal
>> compiler error numbr 11
>>
>> Generally, I get rid of whatever .o file it was working on, and try it
>> again, and generally it goes on farther, and then dies. Any ideas?

For what it's worth here are my $.02 cents.

Used to get the dreaded "Internal compiler compiler error: cc1 caught signal
11" when compiling the kernel or userland sources. After much experimenting
I found out that in my case all was solved if I changed the CPU cooler. The
cooler I'm currently using is stuck right on top of the CPU (physical contact
between the two) and I haven't had a problem since.

This is with an ASUS P55TP4XE 120MHz P5.

According to the booklet that comes with this board: use 60ns RAM if the P5
is driven with a 66MHz clock (P5 100, 133, 166, 200).

Another pointer is the homepage of r.e.wolff@et.tudelft.nl. He wrote a
'signal 11 while compiling the kernel FAQ'. Lost the URL for that, sorry.

Onno van der Linden (onno@simplex.nl)