Subject: Re: scsi card
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1996 19:30:25
>On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

>// You should ALWAYS try to get a card for a 32-bit bus (PCI, EISA, VLB)
>// before settling for an ISA card.  The performance will be much
>// improved, and there is no problem with using any amount of memory you
>// desire.

>	No doubt there, but I only have an ISA bus in the machine I want
>the card.

So, buy a new motherboard and plug your CPU into it. :-)  A CPU-less
motherboard with PCI or VLB could probably be gotten for less than
$100 in Computer Shopper.

Assuming you don't chose that route, you need either an Adaptec 1542,
or a BusLogic BT545 (their equivelant of the 1542).  Both are ISA bus
cards.  Which also means that, for the time being, anyway, NetBSD
isn'g going to let you use more than 16MB of RAM with them.  That will
be fixed Some Day.

>// Once again, BusLogic is the best alternative to Adaptec.  Both
>// BusLogic and Adaptec make PCI, EISA, and VLB SCSI controllers.
>// Anything that is compatible with these two would be OK, too, as long
>// as it supports the 32-bit busses, but you should be very careful.

>	I don't like the word compatible when it comes to hardware (unless
>it's IBM compatible as opposed to IBM).  I'm really just needing ISA on
>this machine, though (PCI is later).

I agree.  That's why I said be careful.  I'm skeptical that you will
find anything as good as a BusLogic or Adaptec controller.  You may
find several cheaper, but You Get What You Pay For...

               Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX...