Subject: Re: scsi card
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1996 17:25:59
>Once again, BusLogic is the best alternative to Adaptec.  Both
>BusLogic and Adaptec make PCI, EISA, and VLB SCSI controllers.
>Anything that is compatible with these two would be OK, too, as long
>as it supports the 32-bit busses, but you should be very careful.

And once again, Michael VanLoon forgets to state ``in my opinion''
before making the statement that buslogic is ``better''

I have always had Adaptec, and while I do agree that you should
consider VLB, PCI, or EISA over ISA, and for the same reasons (memory
use, speed, etc) I would recommend an Adaptec because I have had no
problems with them.

The 1542 drivers are ``rock solid'' as well.  There is no support if
you have more than 16M of memory, yet.  There will be.  However, this
isn't an issue of BusLogic vs. Adaptec, it's a difference between an
outdated system bus with limited ability vs. someone programming
around it.  All busmastering ISA cards will break in the same way with
more then 16M.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!