Subject: Re: Compaq Aero?
To: Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/1996 08:18:34
> Is anyone running NetBSD on a Compaq Aero?  This machine has a funky
> external floppy drive that plugs in to the pcmcia slot, but is supposed to
> behave just like a real floppy drive.  When I try to boot off floppies, I
> get:
>
> (kernel loads fine)
> isa0 (root)
> pcprobe: reset error 1
> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: density unknown
> panic: cannot mount root

I had it running fine, until the backlight broke. The trick is to compile
a kernel for the boot floppy that ignores the density check and just returns
as a 1.44Mb device. I am sure there is a more "correct" way to do it, but
this worked far enough to install the system.

BTW Has anyone got a source for tiny neon tubes ? Mine cracked in half and
Compaq and Citizen will only sell me the whole display (why ? - money
grabbing morons of course).

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org