Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <azcb0@sde.uts.amdahl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/1996 05:44:22
> [stuff about the probe conflict between buslogic and adaptec
> deleted]
> > Alistair tried to write a patch to get the kernel not to probe devices
> > at I/O addresses where devices were previously detected, but it was
> > done wrong and it's not necessarily a good strategy (false positives
> > can become very damaging, e.g. for the mcd device).
>
> Thy is it the wrong approach not to probe devices at I/O addresses
> where devices were previously detected? I think if a device has been
> found at a particular I/O address no other device can reside at the
> same address, or am I wrong with this assumtion?

Those were my thoughts, but, unfortunately, Greg came up with some
boxes that couldn't find the npx, and whose mcd or some other device
wasn't probed correctly.  It was all a bit nasty, and so I recommended
that my patch be discarded.

Since then, I haven't had the heart to look at it.

Wilting and lurking,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                    +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.