Subject: RE: How to write NetBSD boot blocks to DOS disk?
To: Ken Hornstein , David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/1996 01:26:11
It now works!  Thanks for all your help.  I can now successfully boot
DOS, Windows 95, and NetBSD from my EIDE drive.  It will now make a
great hardware configuration environment and emergency NetBSD boot
drive.

The key, it seems to me, was one of two things:

Either it was to make sure that the NetBSD partition in the DOS
partition table was set active before trying to write the boot blocks,
maybe.

Or it was that "disklabel -B ... wd0" trashes the partition, if you
don't rewrite the protofile while writing the boot blocks.  I did
"disklabel -RB ... wd0 protofile", this time.

One of those two things made it happy.

Dave Burgess, time to update the FAQ?  See, somebody reads that
thing...  :-)

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...