Subject: Re: How to write NetBSD boot blocks to DOS disk?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1996 14:46:20
>>Did you try using the NetBSD "fdisk" on this disk and make sure that it
>>agrees with the proto label?  Also, you said this is a disklabel proto
>>file -  Are you using -R along with -B to read in the proto file?  Is
>>the label on the disk?
>
>The disklabel is on the disk, yes.  It's on there, I've rebooted, I've
>newfs'd the NetBSD partitions.  I just haven't put the NetBSD boot
>blocks on it... this time.  It boots MS-DOS fine.  It access the
>partitions under NetBSD fine.  I just can't boot NetBSD from that
>drive.

Hmmm.  So what does it do when you try to boot from that parition?  What
kind of boot selector are you using, or are you just marking partitions
active using fdisk?

>>(I'm wondering about that offset for the MS-DOS parition - usually it's
>>32, not 63).
>
>The time I tried to use NetBSD fdisk it also toasted the DOS
>partition.  I may have done something wrong, but I don't think so.

Using the NetBSD fdisk to read the MS-DOS partition table won't harm
anything (Well, it really shouldn't - it asks you before it writes anything).

--Ken