Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1996 17:48:58
> To everyone's knowledge, does the adaptec/buslogic probe conflict
> still exist? Does anyone have any idea what might be done to fix it?

It still exists.

The Adaptec probe will no longer detect a Buslogic card (at least, I
think that change was checked in), but the Adaptec probe will screw up
the state of a Buslogic card if it is performed after a successful
Buslogic probe, and vice versa.

Alistair tried to write a patch to get the kernel not to probe devices
at I/O addresses where devices were previously detected, but it was
done wrong and it's not necessarily a good strategy (false positives
can become very damaging, e.g. for the mcd device).

FreeBSD doesn't seem to have this problem, but I don't know what
measures they took.