Subject: Re: spkr
To: None <dustin@sendmail.cf, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/1996 11:28:00
>From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@sendmail.cf>
>Subject: spkr

>	Is there any documentation available for the spkr driver?  I saw
>it in the config file, but have no idea what to set it to.

I know there is online documentation included with the system (at least
with 1.0), though I'm not sure of the name.  I think `man sound` might
work.  Basically, it "emulates the IBM BASIC 'PLAY' command" -- you feed
it ASCII notes ("C", "D", "E", etc.) or various obscure commands.  I'd
find the exact filename, but my system is still sidelined from an ill-timed
brown-out.

It has been posted that the boot blocks for NetBSD reside at the start of
the space indicated by the beginning of partition D.  I need to move the
start of partition _A_ ("/") up by a cylinder or two to avoid recently induced
bad medium errors.  The boot blocks currrently work (I can boot to single-
user), so it seems I should be able to just redefine, newfs and reload
partition A without having to rebuild the other partitions.  Am I correct?
I am assuming that the boot block code looks up A in the parition table
and then jumps there.

Max