Subject: Re: Silo overflow?
To: Jan Morales <morales@cs.UMD.EDU>
From: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/1996 22:58:16
Jan Morales:

> I had the same problem running 16550s on a 486/33 with an IDE hard
> drive.  Then I got a SCSI hard drive and a 1542 ISA SCSI controller
> and the silo overflows disappeared.  (And I'm running a 28.8 modem
> 57600 modem-to-host.)

Hm.  I have both IDE and SCSI disks.  My machine can't boot off an
SCSI disk (no NCR bios), so I have to keep the IDE disk which currently
holds the OS and swap (!) :-(

Isn't there a way to give the serial interrupts a higher priority than
to the IDE interrupts?  I guess a bus-mastering IDE driver would also
help, but I have no idea of when we could have that..

I mean there _has_ to be a way of using serial ports with IDE disks,
right? :-)  Right? :-)  Please?  Pretty please with sugar on top? :)

  -jm