Subject: Re: Silo overflow?
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Jan Morales <morales@cs.UMD.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/1996 10:16:07
David Gilbert wrote:
> 	Having got a pc with 16550's for the express purpose of
> driving serial ports at high speed, I am a tad dismayed that I'm
> getting silo overflows on the system.

I had the same problem running 16550s on a 486/33 with an IDE hard
drive.  Then I got a SCSI hard drive and a 1542 ISA SCSI controller
and the silo overflows disappeared.  (And I'm running a 28.8 modem
57600 modem-to-host.)

I usually got the silo overflows while downloading, so I figured
having the serial port and the IDE disk busy at the same time caused
the problem.  I know SCSI is not an inexpensive solution, though...

Jan
--
Jan Morales                             Department of Computer Science
E-mail: morales@cs.umd.edu                      University of Maryland