Subject: Re: Bad sector handling on IDE disks?
To: Robert Kennedy <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/1996 23:19:17
In message <199603200520.VAA19489@Vashti.Stanford.EDU>,
	Robert Kennedy writes:
>I'm helping a friend plan a somewhat messy NetBSD 1.1 installation on
>a 486 machine with two IDE disks. The root and swap partitions are
>going on a disk that will be shared with DOS, and we know that there
>are a number of bad sectors in the area that will belong to
>NetBSD. How are bad sectors handled on IDE disks? I can see from the
>install script that bad144 isn't used for IDE disks, so what is? When
>the script runs newfs on the disk, will the right thing magically
>happen? I haven't been able to find a utility that scans the disk for
>bad sectors and then marks them as bad in some filesystem data
>structure. What do I need to do?

Throw the disk away, or, if it's under warranty, get the manufacturer to
replace it.  IDE disks should not show bad sectors; if they do, they're
beyond hope.

--
Jason Downs
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--

			  Big Brother... Just say No.
	      No to unlimited wiretaps.  No to enforced `decency'.