Subject: Bad sector handling on IDE disks?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/1996 21:20:27
I'm helping a friend plan a somewhat messy NetBSD 1.1 installation on
a 486 machine with two IDE disks. The root and swap partitions are
going on a disk that will be shared with DOS, and we know that there
are a number of bad sectors in the area that will belong to
NetBSD. How are bad sectors handled on IDE disks? I can see from the
install script that bad144 isn't used for IDE disks, so what is? When
the script runs newfs on the disk, will the right thing magically
happen? I haven't been able to find a utility that scans the disk for
bad sectors and then marks them as bad in some filesystem data
structure. What do I need to do?

Also, a number of the pages in the standard man11 installation, as
well as whatis.db from the distribution refer to format(8), but there
is no such page in the man11 distribution. What's the deal? Is the
page missing from the distribution, or should everyone have stopped
referring to it because it no longer exists?

	-- Robert