Subject: Re: Bootloader questions
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@easynet.co.uk>
From: Pete Bentley <pete@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/1996 18:31:27
In message <199603150934.JAA22994@easynet.co.uk>, "Neil J. McRae" writes:
>>  Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think it's  better *not* to merge boot partition chooser and OS loader
>> > into one LILO lookalike. I don't need any code to load Linux,SCO,DOS,....
>> > in my NetBSD machine.
>> >
>> Myself also, I don't think that this should ever be part of the tree,
>> there are utils out there that do this and they should not be part of
>> NetBSD.

Perhaps not part of the kernel bootloader tree, but I think there is a
case for having native NetBSD versions of these utilities somewhere in
the userland tree.  OS-BS is nice, but requires DOS to run. NetBSD's
fdisk isn't the nicest in the world either...tidying those up would
let us make a rather friendlier install setup.  One day when I have
the time I'll have a bash at these...

Pete.