Subject: Re: boot options ?
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/1996 13:27:16
>Are the boot options meant to work in combination ?

>If I try "-adrs", for example, I don't get asked where I want to mount root
>from, nor with "-as".

Yes, they can be used in combination, but note that the "-r" option
does not currently actually prompt for a root device.

The current interpretation of the "-r" flag is to use the root device
compiled into the kernel at config time ("config netbsd root at wd0 ..."
and such) rather than the device the kernel loaded from (such as fd0 or
wherever the kernel is loaded from).

At one point I had a 2M partition on my second IDE drive that contained
only a kernel and a set of bootblocks hacked up to always pass the "-r"
flag to the kernel, so that the kernel would get the root partition off
of the first scsi drive (which was invisible from BIOS).

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group