Subject: Re: NetBSD trashed my FDISK table!
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/1996 23:59:57
>The netbsd-1.1 i386 install scripts do the wrong thing with respect to the
>MSDOS disk label (i.e., they ignore it).
>
>I banged my head against this yesterday.
>
>Here's what I did with the existing 1.1-based tools:
>[...]

In defense of the 1.1 install tools, I've done this fine, with the help
of using pfdisk from DOS.  The biggest problem I've seen is an off-by-one
error where people don't realize MS-DOS starts counting cylinders from
one, but NetBSD starts from zero.  Also, with pfdisk you can find the correct
offset for the start of NetBSD disklabel.

But on the other hand .... the last time this whole subject came up, I was
berated by someone (who's name I won't mention :-) ), who was convinced
that the NetBSD install tools are the "best of all the i386-Unixes!".  Sigh.

The _real_ problem is that once you get NetBSD/i386 installed, you're so
happy that you don't want to mess up your current system by trying to
work on the install tools.  I had even bought an old 386 with the intention
of working on better install tools, but ever since the locore/vm86 changes
went in last October, NetBSD stopped working on this 386, and so did any
plans to use that machine as a testbed (but that's another story).

--Ken