Subject: Re: 80686 support for NetBSD?
To: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/1996 16:14:57
On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 14:29:19 -0800 (PST)
 devtrix@netcom.com (Matthew B. Wood) wrote:

 > I notice that the kernel configs for 1.1 list machines up through 586, but
 > a 686 line seems to be absent.  This is no surprise what with the near
 > bleeding-edge development of this chip.

I would think that NetBSD/i386 would certainly run on the P6, we just
wouldn't have any P6-specific optimizations...

 > However, I'm wondering what the NetBSD core group and its developers have
 > planned for including support for this chip architecture.  Are there wheels
 > turning for it to be included?  Will it take advantage of some of the snazzy
 > 686 features like "predicting" directions of threads?

See above :-)  The i386 port-master, Charles Hannum <mycroft@netbsd.org>,
would probably be able to give you more info about P6-related efforts.