Subject: Re: NetBSD trashed my FDISK table!
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/1996 12:29:12
The netbsd-1.1 i386 install scripts do the wrong thing with respect to the
MSDOS disk label (i.e., they ignore it).

I banged my head against this yesterday.

Here's what I did with the existing 1.1-based tools:

	1) install DOS to a part-of-disk partition.
	2) allocate an "extended" DOS partition which consists of the *rest*
	   of the disk.
	3) using another NetBSD/i386 system, copy /sbin/fdisk onto the
	   inst-11 floppy
	4) boot off of the kc/inst floppy pair
	5) exit out of the install script.
	6) use the NetBSD fdisk to relabel the "extended" partition into a
	type 165 (0xa5) partition
	7) reboot off the floppies again (just to be sure..)
	8) manually construct a disklabel on wd1 with the right
	root/swap/c/d/var/usr partitioning.
	9) manually "single step" through the rest of the install script
	10) boot off the hard disk into DOS to verify that I didn't clobber
	the dos filesystems
	11) use DOS fdisk to change the active partition to the NetBSD
	    partition.
	12) boot netbsd off the hard disk, ftp in the distribution, and
	    unpack it..

There's got to be a better way...

						- Bill