Subject: Re: devices
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/1996 00:25:09
>	com2 device that is an internal USR 28.8 configured for com 3
>(numbering from 1) and irq 5.  I compiled it that way, but it wasn't
>detected.

Hmmm.  Is it possible you got the I/O address wrong?  My com2 line says:

com2    at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5

(Just a possiblity).  It's not a plug-and-play modem, is it?

>	I'd also like to know if there is any sort of virtual console
>support.  I'd like to get more than one ttyv? so I don't have to make room
>for a new terminal every time I want to do something else.

Sure.  Changed the kernel config line:

pc0    at isa? port 0x60 irq 1

to:

vt0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1

And optionally add:

options PCVT_NUMSCREENS=4

(or whatever you want).

Note that you'll need to change /etc/ttys to run gettys on the ttyv* devices
instead of /dev/vga.  But you can always boot single-user if you mess up.

--Ken