Subject: NetBSD trashed my FDISK table!
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1996 13:47:19
I am very disappointed.  I tried to setup a SCSI disk shared between
NetBSD-1.1 and MSDOS-6.2 and NetBSD trashed the FDISK table!

MSDOS was installed first, in the first 200 MB of the disk.
Of course, MSDOS wanted to use the whole disk and I had to
fight with it to make it use just 200 MB, but I expect that
from the "I want to own the desktop" operating system.
I did not expect such unfriendly behavior from NetBSD!

I'm pretty sure I did everything as described in the INSTALL
notes.  I created a "type 0xA5" partition for NetBSD (using
my pfdisk of course), and supplied a starting offset to the
install script of 821250 sectors (an even 730 cyninders).
All appeared to go as expected with NetBSD.  The machine
boots into NetBSD without trouble - too easly - wait...
Where did the DOS partition go?!?  Damn...

There is really NO EXCUSE for NetBSD to go trash some other
FDISK partion, EVER.  I think the disklabel stuff is broken.

I guess I'll have a go at fixing this...

Gordon