Subject: Re: Bootloader questions
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Pete Bentley <pete@demon.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/14/1996 12:35:06
In message <199603131622.KAA16213@linkdead.paranoia.com>, VaX#n8 writes:
>> As a first x86 assembler project (I've done other assemblies before), I'm
>> considering working on the bootstrap/loader code.  I'm looking for suggestions
>> on possible improvements, bugfixes, etc.  Please send me any.
>> Multiboot compliance is a main point right now.

Some things which are on my list of things I'd like to do (but quite a
long way down) include:-

* Size extended memory correctly for >64MB as pass it into the kernel
  (I forget exactly what the problem was here, but there is one)
* -v (verbose boot messages) and/or -q (quiet, minimal messages)
  flags (lots of work all over the driver probes needed to make use of
  them)
* 'config' strings on the kernel command line, like Linux, eg you
  could type in 'netbsd -s ed0.port=0x280' ... could maybe nicely tie
  in with Jason Thorpe's userconfig stuff.
* Ability to pass strings from reboot(8) across a boot, eg
  '/sbin/reboot /netbsd.test -s'

>> Just to be thorough, I've grabbed the Linux source and I'm gonna be
>> comparing and stealing any cool features.

Look closely at the LILO source and how it passes things on to the
kernel. It might be worth considering combining the some of the
features of os-bs into a boot loader like LILO. I can't think of any
overriding reasons not to add that functionality into the BSD boot
loader (apart from size, complexity and the awkwardness of finding and
booting a different OS once you're in protected mode)

Pete.