Subject: Bootloader questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/13/1996 10:22:05
As a first x86 assembler project (I've done other assemblies before), I'm
considering working on the bootstrap/loader code.  I'm looking for suggestions
on possible improvements, bugfixes, etc.  Please send me any.
Multiboot compliance is a main point right now.

Just to be thorough, I've grabbed the Linux source and I'm gonna be
comparing and stealing any cool features.  I'm also considering looking
at other operating systems and their code, maybe Plan9, Mach/Flux,..
any suggestions?  If anyone can point me to direct FTP locations for
_just_ the boot code on other OS's that would be appreciated.

Does anyone think there'd be any value in forming a cross-OS i386 boot
consortium? :)  To make sure everyone gets fixes for (e.g.) broken
hardware, etc.