Subject: Second round of first install.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@mars.pci.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/1996 21:52:00
	OK.  Second round.  I still havn't been able to boot the
system from the HD yet.  I have installed the netbsd-oth kernel on the
disk (as netbsd).  I have been able to get the network up and running
--- using this, I populated the filesystem from the install sets for
1.1.  The only one I didn't install was the 'misc11.tar.gz' (no room).

	Anyways, I have the following symptoms.

1. If I use the boot floppie's boot block and specify 'wd(0,a)/netbsd'
    to it, the system loads the kernel as expected and then fails
    after the first line of output.  This line of output flies by
    quick enough that I can't really see what it is.

2. If I use the bootblock that I installed on the disk myself, the
    machine yo-yo's just after it tries to boot of the hard disk.

	I have, however, managed to run a number of binaries from the
disk.  I managed to link /mnt/usr to /usr so that all the shared
libraries appeared.  I could then run most things happily.

	I am perplexed.

	FYI, I really, really, really (... really!) want to get this
(rather minimal) system working as a modem server for the other two
NetBSD machines that I have (Amiga, Sun4) to which I will be adding a
Sun3 in the near future.

	The approximate config of the machine is:

386/40
8Meg RAM
VESA xide controller w/ 2x 16550's, parallel and 2x 40 meg drives
NE2000 Network card.
VGA graphics card (old, but with 1 meg).

	This is a real minimal system.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |