Subject: Re: Quake update
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/1996 21:54:26
Michael Graff wrote:

> > > Now I know why we haven't got a merged VM/buffer cache, bounce buffers,
> > > etc. ;-)
> >
> >Yup. It's because people like you just sit there and wait for everyone
> >else to do the work and complain about it when it doesn't get done...
>
> Um...  I think the original comment was a JOKE perhaps?  Even if it
> wasn't, bitching about someone who's bitching isn't going to help get
> things done faster, either...

Yes, it was a joke (hence the winky).  As if it was really the duty of
anyone to do that stuff, let alone Charles all by himself. (For the
record, I don't even have a use for ISA bounce buffers; I have no reason
to bitch about that.) Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It's just that when reading that post and the one before, I had this
image of Charles (who has always struck me, never having met him of
course, as the most serious and least-likely-to-be-a-videogame-player
member of Core), suddenly turned into a zombie-like single-minded
Quake/Doom junkie and hacking NetBSD only with the goal of furthering
his addiction.  The fact that his first post about getting Quake working
went to netbsd-announce (taken at face value, implying that Quake is on
the level of integration of major new code, massive code changes, code
freeze for release, etc.) contributed to this image.  Of course, he
did that for humor value. I was trying (and failing, I guess) to be
humorous back.