Subject: Re: Installing from dos-formatted ZIP drive
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/29/1996 10:10:39
> for pc's - and I've installed NetBSD/FreeBSD/Linux - unless you have SCSI
> and a SCSI cd-rom or an ethernet card that matches NetBSD's kernel config.
>
> NetBSD has been a _real_ hassle :-/
> I _had_ to use floppies for it - just like DOS/Windows!

You guys *really should* merge in the kernel `userconfig' stuff that
Michael Smith and I did.  It's been a serious life-saver for more
people than I can count, and easier than heck to implement.  You just
give the user a chance to edit the isa_device structures before the
system comes all the way up.  If you just want the minimal
command-line version, you can even just extract /sys/i386/i386/userconfig.c
from the FreeBSD CVS tree from the time just before Michael added the
visual mode stuff.  I'd much rather see someone run NetBSD than punt
all the way back to Linux.

					Jordan