Subject: Problems with EISA SCSI driver
To: port i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1996 20:51:39
Hello,

We are running inn on a 486 box, equipped with an EISA SCSI interface.
There are four disks and one DAT drive hanging on the ahe card.  Three
disks (4 GB Seagate's) work as news spool (ccd0 :-)) and the fourth 1.8
GB Micropolis is just sitting there.

Everything works fine under norman circumstances, but when there is a lot
of SCSI activity, the machine crashes.  One day I was formatting two of
the 4-gig disks simultaneously (before configuring ccd) - crash.  Today
I was just trying to access the DAT drive, and after copying some 150 MB
of data the system crashed again.

Here's what dmesg says about the ahe controller:

ahe0: 274x Twin Channel, A SCSI Id=7, B SCSI Id=7, aic7770 >= Rev E, 4 SCBs
ahe0: Using Level Sensitive Interrupts
ahe0: Downloading Sequencer Program...Done
ahe0 at isa0 port 0x2c00-0x2cff irq 11ahe0: Probing channel A

The system has 64MB of RAM and is very stable otherwise (no crashes other
than the SCSI related ones).  It is running a 960118 kernel.

Any ideas?  Should we replace the EIDE controller with a PCI one?  Is there
a reason why the ahe driver/hardware is slower than the 2940 board we
have on another system (the difference is something like 3 MB/sec vs.
7 MB/sec)?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

  -jm (jmarin@jmp.fi)