Subject: new pc console driver
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <email@example.com>
Date: 02/05/1996 12:49:05
I did some changes to the console driver for i386 (pccons.c). These are:
* Support of national keyboards.
There are two ioctl's to get and set the keyboard translation tables.
A little prog to set (at this moment) US/english or German layout is included.
This prog should be run from /etc/rc.
Why not including all tables into the kernel?
- No waste of space (20 tables use 60k of memory)
- Any user may set his preferred translation without hacking the kernel.
- It must be possible for the install program to ask for the keyboard
and set it on a generic kernel.
* A screen blanker
This may need further testing. I do not run X11 on my box.
* A partial ISO Latin1 to IBM Codepage 437 translation
I tried to translate all characters > 127 that have a corresponding char in
the Codepage 437.
People interested in these changes may get them from:
As this is a very vital driver I'm looking for review before I submit it.
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - firstname.lastname@example.org - TU Braunschweig (W Germany)