Subject: Re: LKM's for some file systems
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/29/1995 16:28:45
> I must admit that kernel mods really complicate the system startup
> process.  I mean, given a split up startup script, would you think
> that it should be which of the following?
>
> 1)  One file to load the lkm and configure it, such as procfs followed
>     by a mount, all in the same file
> or
> 2)  One file to load the mod, then a mount_procfs or something to do
>     actual mount
>
> I would think #1 is *much* simplier.

Yeah, but it's _wrong_.

OK, so, you've loaded procfs into your kernel.  You now should be able
to, given that one single loaded copy, mount a procfs file system at
15 seperate places in your file system tree, right?

For file systems, in NetBSD, that's easy -- the names are strings.
For other things (e.g. syscalls), well, there's no particualarly easy
way to look up LKM names/numbers/whatever easily.

chris