Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: David Mazieres <dm@amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/1995 01:37:56
>I, too, have 32Mb and an aha1542.  I hacked machdep.c to limit my
>memory to 16 Mb, but am basically swapping constantly.  Can you say
>something about how different OpenBSD is from NetBSD and how hard it
>was to switch?

According to the www page, the only change was the 1542 one.

I have to ask the following question:  Does anyone use the 154x series
in something other than a i386?  If not, why the hell can't we use the
patch that was sent in for this?

If it _must_ me arch independant, then would someone PLEASE tell me
what needs to be done?  I think what is going on here is:

1)  the only people who use the 1542 are i386 owners, or
2)  those who CAN fix the code (have the clue and the other arches)
    don't use the 1542 at all, so don't care.

I need to add more memory.  And while I may have a little clue in the
kernel side, I have asked both Chris D. and mycroft what needed to be
changed so I could attempt it and got no reply from either.

>First, is it possible to run an OpenBSD kernel with the rest of the
>system (including init, ps, netstat, etc.) from NetBSD?

Prolly, but let's try to fix the problem, not switch OS's yet.  I
still think NetBSD is the one to stay with for now...

>Alternatively, where are the bounce buffers implemented in OpenBSD?  I
>downloaded the actual aha1542 driver but it was identical to the
>NetBSD one.  Is there some piece of code from OpenBSD that I can drop
>into the NetBSD kernel?  (I don't care how inelegant it is--I need to
>stop swapping!)

I agree totally, but I thought the aha1542 driver was different.  Is
there a second copy stored in the i386 tree for OpenBSD or something?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!