Subject: Re: upgrade memory or I/O first?
To: VaX#n8 <vax@cs.utexas.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/1995 21:12:40
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, VaX#n8 wrote:

> I'm looking at either upgrading from 8->16MB of RAM (30 pin SIMMS)
> or upgrading from an ISA-based SCSI (AHA-1542B) to VLB (BT-445C).

Upgrading from 8MB to 16MB of RAM is definitely the better bet!
I wouldn't even think about running a system with less than 16MB
of RAM if I could help it.

If you're looking at buying a VLB controller, perhaps you should
be looking at replacing the motherboard with a PCI motherboard.
You could replace the motherboard for the cost difference between
the Buslogic controller and the NCR PCI controller. (However, the
Buslogic controller is rock solid and generally very nice; the NCR
driver is still a bit flakey at times, though I find it fine for
my personal workstation.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.