Subject: Re: Installing and other projects
To: None <jdc@xinside.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/15/1995 00:22:00
> It would reduce our effort to add NetBSD support by between 5 & 50%
> (e.g. an XVideo port is very easy, but half the work involved is in
> making a separate diskette package, separate release notes, separate
> Web page, separate...).  If we could have a single installation
> method, ideally with a method that allowed us to have a common tree,
> a NetBSD tree with architecture specific binaries, and a FreeBSD
> tree, it would service our future needs for a long time to come.
> Well, weeks, at least ;-)

Well, being on the application side that you are (I was talking more
about the actual OS installation tools themselves, which shouldn't be
*too* relevant to X Inside, Inc.) why not simply make your
distribution a `package' suitable for pkg_add?  Speaking as the author
of the pkg tools, I can't say that packages are the best format going
(they're not) but they're at least now standard across FreeBSD and
NetBSD.

For more info, check out the man page for pkg_create on either system.

					Jordan