Subject: Re: Installing and other projects
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/1995 22:09:51
>>There were two projects mentioned to me (either on this list or via
>>personal email) that I have not heard anything of lately.

>>1) install method
>>Someone was working on an inproved install method.  Just putting some
>>nicer prompts and methods of selecting partitions would go a long way
>>to making NetBSD nicer for the would-be Unix user.  Is this still
>>going on?

>This pops up every once in a while; some people have done work on making
>better partitioning schemes, but they never got rolled into the install
>procedure.  I dunno why.

Hope this isn't politically incorrect of me, but...

It seems to me that a large portion of this work has already been
done.  Why don't we just take the FreeBSD install stuff and work it
over so it works on NetBSD?  Maybe abstract out the right parts so
they'll work nicely on any architecture.

Jordan has offered more than once to work with NetBSD people on
further development of install tools.  I don't see why a common
install team couldn't form, for the betterment of both systems.  I
think it would be stupid of us to let such an offer vanish without any
hint of interest.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...