Subject: Re: Problem coexisting with DOS on IDE (1.1)
To: None <jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/1995 19:58:56
>From: jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 17:43:21 -0500 (EST)
>
>I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on a IDE machine whose BIOS disk geometry is
>as follows: 524C / 64H / 63S. Dos lives up through cyl 100. When I try to
>install, all goes well except for the installation of the boot blocks -- after
>the kernel is copied to the disk and a reboot, all I get is read error :-(.

>Pfdisk reports the following geometry / partitioning for DOS, which I worked
>around in the NetBSD install:
>
>geometry 524 64 63
>
>#	ID	First(cyl)	Last(cyl)	start, length(sectors)
>1	4	0		100		63, 401769
>2	128	101		200		407232, 403200
>
>(I fudged the ID of 128 for the NetBSD partition (2) using pfdisk. What is
>the proper ID for NetBSD / FreeBSD / 386BSD ?)
>
>Anyway -- What should I do to this box to get a proper partition table
>and NetBSD boot code?

Use pfdisk to set the partition ID for your NetBSD partition to 165,
which is the value the boot blocks want.  This must be done *before*
you boot the install floppy, or you'll get that warning from
disklabel.

This fact is mentioned in the INSTALL notes.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel