Subject: Re: Installing and other projects
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/1995 13:47:42
>There were two projects mentioned to me (either on this list or via
>personal email) that I have not heard anything of lately.
>
>1) install method
>
>Someone was working on an inproved install method.  Just putting some
>nicer prompts and methods of selecting partitions would go a long way
>to making NetBSD nicer for the would-be Unix user.  Is this still
>going on?

This pops up every once in a while; some people have done work on making
better partitioning schemes, but they never got rolled into the install
procedure.  I dunno why.

>2) documentation projects
>
>I saw a sample TOC for a paper/book about hacking kernels, and I think
>there was also one about running a NetBSD system (for users).  Are
>these still going?  If so, I'd like to become involved, since I've
>gone and volunteered to write a driver for the Pro Audio Spectrum's
>SCSI port so two more people can use NetBSD rather than Lamex.  :)

The TOC was something I posted a while back.  I was switching jobs at the
time, and was going to use the time betweeen jobs to work on it.
Unfortunately, that time got ursuped by other things :-(  I got a lot of
feedback on people interested in helping with it, but unfortunately starting
a new job sucked all the time away.

I still have all the stuff if people are interested in continuing it.

--Ken