Subject: AMD usage query
To: None <ports-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/1995 05:13:34
We are using amd extensively on our NetBSD boxes, and it is a real
improvement over the Sun automounter.  However, there is one annoying
feature:  entries don't show up in the mount point directory until
you cause the mount to take place.

For example, suppose we have /home2 as an amd mount point, and
we've just brought the system up; and that /home2/asic and /home2/ports
are automounted.

net2::~ (mcci) $ ls /home
(nothing is there)

net2::~ (mcci) $ ls /home/asic
foo	bar	baz
net2::~ (mcci) $ ls /home
asic

This behavior is very inconvenient:  wild-card descents, finds, and
TAB-completion of path elements don't work.  Worse, if I forget the
name, I have to scan the auto-mount table.  My users aren't even that
with it.

Suns automount, on the other hand, will populate the directory with
symbolic links as soon as it starts, and not mount until one tries to
traverse them.  Is there any way to obtain similar behavior with amd?

Thanks--
Terry Moore
tmm@mcci.com	tel: +1-607-277-1029	fax: +1-607-277-6844