Subject: RE: Problems under 1.1
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@magma.leg.ufrj.br>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hal9000.apana.org.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/1995 09:07:00
>I just installed 1.1 in my system (i486), but I am having problems with
>it.
>
>The first is a traditional: how to compile ELM so that it doesn't have
>that problem with mailbox locking?  Many friends reported this problem
>under many different systems (NetBSD 1.0, Linux, etc.) and they  all
>solved it by borrowing already compiled binaries from other friends.
>Unfortunately, nobody around has already installed 1.1, so I am unsure
>if my old working version from 1.0 will work (I'd have to download it
>from my backup).

I had the same problem first. During configuration the script ask which
method of locking to be used. Just hitting return on the default values
will give you the result your are getting now. On my second try I
selected the flock options only which worked for me.

>The other problem is that TALK isn't working.  I don't know why, it
>always display that "Checking for invitation on caller's machine", even
>when it's a local request.  Is there any change to be made to the
startup
>files or I've just got a bad file from a (never before experienced) bad
>FTP or disk write?   Should ntalkd be explicitly called in rc or
rc.local?

Talk worked for me. Check if you have mesg enabled (mesg y will do it).
I have put this command into my login procedure.

>Thanks in advance.

Your are welcome

>pappires@magma.leg.ufrj.br

cheerio Berndt