Subject: thanks! and ethernet trouble
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 13:34:38
Hello!
	First off, I would like to thank all those who helped make 1.1
happen, its excellent!  You may remember I was trying to get ppp to
gove me resonable ftp times, well with 1.1 I get 10 times the
performance under 1.0!  (roughly 2.8 kb/sec)  Thanks!!

However, my problems are not through (oh joy).  I have a 3c501 card in
my 386 with a sun 3/60 on the other end of the wire.  My plan is to
use the 3/60 as an xterminal with Xkernel.  Thats all well and good,
but I cannot seem to get the sun to understand my rarp'd.
Unfortunately I do not have the exact output from tcpdump, but here is
a paraphrased version:

<time> rarp: who-is <sun's etheraddr> tell <sun's etheraddr>
<time> rarp: reply <sun's etheraddr> at 10.0.0.36
<time> rarp: reply <sun's etheraddr> at 10.0.0.36

I have choosen the ether addr of 10.0.0.36 randomly, does this matter?
>From the above tcpdump (tcpdump -nvv) I imagine that the sun is
sending out a packet, which is received by the 3c501.  That packet
gets to the rarpd -a which is running, and a response is sent back.
>From the sun though, it seems that the packet never makes it, as the
sun simply sits and waits...

Does anyone have any ideas on ways to test where the break is?

Another piece of information which I almost forgot.  The 3c501 cannot
use irq 9, yet that is the irq used in the config files.  I changed it
in mine to irq 2, and make clean; make depend; make 'd a new kernel,
yet the card is still found at irq 9!
Could this be part of the problem?  I looked quickly at the source,
but found no outstanding reason that it was changed back.

Any help is much appreciated!
As is the 1.1 release in general

Bart Niswonger

   Bartholomew Niswonger
   bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu               Voice:..........312.955.2746

   CS Student...............University of Chicago
   Programmer...............Biological Sciences Division/Academic Computing
   Projects.................CGI/HTML & Databases
   OS of choice.............NetBSD {Amiga, hp300, i386}