Subject: Re: Compiling gcc 2.7.X on NetBSD 1.1
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Gary Henderson <garyh@wet.sbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1995 17:39:08

>>I've built a working 2.7.1 with my -current compiler, which should be
>>the same as 1.1's.
>>
>>I did not patch my 2.7.1 sources from a previous version, so nothing
>>got rebuilt by bison.  Bison (as compiled by 1.1's compiler) may be
>>the source of the problem.  If so, you can avoid it by touching all of
>>the .c files that match .y files after patching your gcc source to
>>2.7.2.
>>
>I took your advice and downloaded the entire gcc 2.7.2 tree rather patching
>gcc 2.7.0 so bison isn't invoked and I've just finished compiling 2.7.2 with
>no problems at all.
>
>So it looks like bison 1.24 was the problem. I'll touch the .y files in a
>minute and rebuild to confirm.
>
>I compiled the 1.24 bison myself using gcc 2.7.0 on a 15th May snapshot of
>NetBSD-i386 system.

The bison on my system is the cause of gcc 2.7.2 being unable to compile
itself - there is junk in the middle of the c files it generates. I'm
amazed the files actually compiled if the first place.

Now the question is why is bison 1.24 generating junk output files ? Was
the original gcc 2.7.0 I compiled it with broken ? Is 1.24 broken ?
Stay tuned ...

Thanks to Mike Long for his original suggestion - I now have a working
gcc 2.7.2.

Gary.