Subject: Success with dosemu, anyone ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gary Henderson <garyh@wet.sbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/1995 11:47:33
Hi,

Has anyone had any luck getting dosemu 0.60.4.4+ to run windows or other
'biggy' dos apps - ok then, games ?

John Kohl, who did all the work (thanks), said he'd got windows
running, under dosemu, on his pentium box but not his 486 box. I've got a
486 portable, and apart from simple dos applets, non of the so called
dosemu successes apps work, they all lock dosemu and/or the virtual session;
if the virtual console isn't locked then a ps on another reveals dosemu has
either crashed or is sat consuming cpu time.

If I reboot my machine, the first dosemu session actually almost runs dos
doom + other dos games before locking but later sessions lock much earlier in
the game booting sequence - sounds like some uninitialised memory in the
kernel to me.

John suggested the lockup occurs when setting the user ldt; anyone know what
the user ldt actual is and are there any known bugs with it ?

Gary.