Subject: Re: Success of NetBSD on weird IDE disks (was Re: Installation problems)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Lever <J.Lever@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1995 14:58:25
>On Thu, 26 Oct 95 15:25:47 GMT  richard.ellis@kpmg.co.uk wrote:
>>      The installation loops continuosly displaying this error. The disk
>>      geometry (according to the bios) is 528 cyls 64 heads 63 sectors. On
>>      bootup netbsd sees it as 2112/16/63 I have tried using both geometries
>>       for the installation but get the same result.

sounds like a Quantum Fireball 1Gb to me ;)

anyway, I recently installed NetBSD on a friends pc with one of these disks
and it worked like a charm.. however I coudn't share the disk with dos as
dos doesn't like large disks of this type without either having a special
driver loaded (one was supplied with the FIREBALL that gets written to the
bootblock), or without using the whole disk (no more than first 1024 cyls)
as far as dos was concerned.

Just to note, NetBSD had absolutely no trouble with this disk and recognised
it first time and installed quite happily.  Also, the netbsd kernel also
mentioned that the drive was using LBA addressing automagically.

>While I have a had a a problem installing on a >1Gb disk recently myself
>I'm starting to see a pattern here.  All of the disks have a
>natural geo of X CYL 16 HD 63 SPT and BIOS geo of Y CYL 64 HD 63 SPT.
>
>Has anyone out there gotten NetBSD to install on such a disk?  There
>seems to be quite a few of us with failures on this type of IDE disk...

James