Subject: Re: Success of...
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Jeffrey Russell Horner <jhorner@cs.utk.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1995 23:18:47
I have such a disk:

A Western Digital Caviar 1.2G with 2484C, 16T, and 63SPT.

Although I don't want to reboot to see what the bios says, I'm pretty
sure the bios' track and sector count are similar to your problem
drives.

I changed may bios setting:

instead of 2484C, I set it to 1023C since (I assume) my bios does disk
geometrytranslation. Of course now Dos/Win only see approximately half
my disk BUT NetBSD1.0 sees all of it.

I was then able to boot NetBSD1.0,  and I also replaced the MBR and
swapped in OS-BS (to boot from either Dos or NetBSD1.0).

If you've already heard this, sorry about the wasted bandwidth.

> On Thu, 26 Oct 95 15:25:47 GMT  richard.ellis@kpmg.co.uk wrote:
> >      The installation loops continuosly displaying this error. The disk
> >      geometry (according to the bios) is 528 cyls 64 heads 63 sectors. On
> >      bootup netbsd sees it as 2112/16/63 I have tried using both geometries

> >       for the installation but get the same result.
>
> While I have a had a a problem installing on a >1Gb disk recently myself
> I'm starting to see a pattern here.  All of the disks have a
> natural geo of X CYL 16 HD 63 SPT and BIOS geo of Y CYL 64 HD 63 SPT.
>
> Has anyone out there gotten NetBSD to install on such a disk?  There
> seems to be quite a few of us with failures on this type of IDE disk...

 Jeffrey Russell Horner   jhorner@cs.utk.edu
 Research Assistant, Computer Science Department
 University of Tennessee, Knoxville