Subject: Re: 64Mb ram? and de0[10-100Mbps]??
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1995 09:21:49
In  <199510251859.SAA26576@alice.wonderland.org> , you wrote:

> > 2.	I'm using one of the new SMC9332 PCI e/net cards and there appears
> > 		to be no network traffic using it.. I've attempted to set
> > 		it to use utp/10Mbps using the config disk but it still
> > 		doesn't like it under netbsd..
> >
> > 	is there some way of setting the network card (ie. either using ifconfig
> > 		or some other method) to tell the card to talk through the utp
> > 		port on the back (instead of the stp port) AND to do it at
> > 		only 10Mbps??
>
> I am using > 15 or these cards (I assume these are the 21140 based
> cards using Matt Thomas' if_de driver), and they have all worked
> first time. I don't know whether they autodetect at all (Matt ?)
> since I only use them in a 10BaseT environment for now.

The driver will autodetect 10 or 100Mb mode upon boot.  If neither is detected
it will use 10Mb/s.  The driver *never* selects the STP port.  Note that the
driver will tell whether it is using 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s in the boot messages.

Can post the output of dmesg to help diagnose your problem?

> I guess you have checked that there is a hub powered on at the other end
> etc etc... have you tried another card in case it is a hardware fault ?

I'd try another card if possible.

Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    <currently homeless>
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: Digital disavows all knowledge
                                      of this message