Subject: Re: Can't boot 1.1
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@sde.uts.amdahl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1995 02:28:15
> I've been current with -current up till sup service had problems and I was
> running with no troubles.  After sup was restored, I am no longer able to
> boot the i386 kernels I compile.  I have the same config as before, and I
> am running 1.1 just fine on my hp380.  I supped last three days ago (the
> 18th).  The i386 kernels don't get as far as single user mode.  The last
> things I see are:
>
> 	root device eisa not configured
> 	root device pci not configured
> 	biomask 4040 netmask 400 ttymask 101a
> 	kernel: Protection fault trap.  code = 0
> 	Stopped at _cpu_switch+0xc1	mov %ax,%fs
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly apreciated.  I can't get a
> reasonable stack trace, the frame pointer is bad.
>
> This is on a Gateway 2000 laptop with an Intel i486, IDE drive and 24 Meg
> of memory.

I got this on a Gatway 2000 laptop when I had the pms mouse driver
config'ed in to the kernel. With no pms driver, I was able to boot
and run fine (with a Glidepoint mouse hanging of one of the serial
ports). This is with -current sources from October 16th.

1.1_ALPHA boots fine on my other i386 boxes, none of which has a
pms mouse driver.

My stack trace was bad, too, but I didn't have any more time to
look any further.

Hope this helps,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                    +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.