Subject: Re: Linux ELF binaries on current
To: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1995 03:27:31
Quoting Randy Terbush,

> I never really saw an conclusion to some recent discussion on this
> topic. Can we run Linux ELF with the proper C libraries and ld.so?

> Are there any Linux version limitations?

Yes, you can run Linux ELF binaries, this has been possible for quite some
time now. You will need to solve possible conflicts for shared lib names
or locations with Linux a.out files, but that is due to the Linux changeover
to ELF, not due to the emulation code.

One more thing: if you have SVR4 emulation enabled as well, statically
linked binaries won't work, because there is no way to distinguish
between different OSs with ELF binaries for the same CPU type. No standard
way at least. This is a serious flaw in ELF, imho. (what will happen
in this case is simply that the svr4 code gets there first, will try
to execute the binary and ends up dumping core because of a bad system
call, svr4 numbering (and trap gate for that matter) is totally differeny
from Linux).

- Frank