Subject: booting problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C5ge_R=F8bekk?= <aagero@ifi.uio.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/1995 01:32:37
When I boot netbsd from the hd, I get "Read error". This particular text
string is also located in /usr/mdec/wdboot, so there is something
wrong in disk access perhaps. The string appears very first upon bootup,
it doesn't reach the loader. When I first got this error, I assumed it
was caused by some stale MBRs from DOS or something. I dd'ed the first 16k
on the disk to make sure, and installed everything again. No success, I
still got "Read error", a very verbose and specific error message ;-)
And second, the partition table is a bit weird too. This might be a
question already asked, but in my partition table, netbsd occupies part#4,
with a fixed size of 50000 sectors. And the cylinder sizes are beyond the
actual sizes told by BIOS. By no particular reason, this might be why
wdboot returns read error. Anyway it is not correct. As a final result,
I have to boot with a floppy disk, and I am not able to reboot from remote
since the boot process requires typing "hd(0,a)/netbsd".

-aage