Subject: Re: Suggestions for easing 1.1 i386 installations
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1995 23:53:14
> so easy to trash your disk on an i386 would be a real win.  Everyone I know
> that tried to install NetBSD (including me) has trashed their partition
> table.  I don't even recommend NetBSD to friends anymore; I tell them to
> try FreeBSD.  This way I'm sure they'll still be my friends :-)

Hmmm, I've installed NetBSD on about half a dozen i386's and one
sparc.  I recall editing the sparc install.sh to be a bit more useful,
but otherwise no hassles.  Most installs were done via NFS or ftp, but
at least one was done from floppies/tape.

As I said, I never had any problems, though I've found it very handy
to have another computer handy with a spread-sheet to calculate
partition sizes.

It would be a big win if the user could say how many Mb they want for
each partition and the install script round that out to the next
cylinder boundary.  Not sure about anyone else, but I find computers
are better at math than I am :-)

--sjg