Subject: Re: Help! I cannot print to lpt port.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@deshaw.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/1995 14:30:27
In article <4729.812411276@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
kanghoon@ix.netcom.com (Kang H. Lee) writes:

   When I manually start the printer with lpc, it gives error saying it
   cannot start the daemon.  When I manually start the lpd and then run
   "lpc start all", it starts fine but gives above error message.  When I
   check the lpd by typing "ps -aux | grep lpd", it lists two lpds.  Any
   pointer would be greatly appreciated.

   BTW my printcap file contains following lines:

   hp-djet|lp|HP Deskjet 540|:\
       :lp=/dev/lpt2:sd=/var/spool/hp-djet:lf=/var/log/pr-errs:
		   ^

		   This is because it shows lpt2 at the boot time.

Have you tried simply copying something to /dev/lpt2?  I suspect you
don't have an interrupt configured for that port, and therefore you
need to use /dev/lpa2.  If you try to open /dev/lpt2 with no interrupt
configured, you'll get ENXIO.