Subject: lms screws up the ep0 driver
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/1995 16:29:57
I just had a bitch of a time with lms drivers triggering during probe
on the same i/o space as my ep0 driver -- this nuked the ethernet card
very badly. Reminded me a lot of the screw I had with the mitsumi
driver in ancient days, actually, which nuked the ep0 card badly
enough that I had to power cycle the machine. The weird thing was, the
card could send but couldn't hear -- this made diagnosis rather weird.

Thought I'd tell people so that they might know about this in the
future.

BTW, as an aside, I'd like to suggest that boot kernels on floppies
for 1.1 be very special things that include a minimum number of
drivers not absolutely needed to bring things up -- no Mitsumi driver,
no bus mice, etc. Once someone is up and running NetBSD is the time
that they should start playing with getting their Mitsumi CD-ROM or
their bus mice working -- at that point they probably are in a
position to diagnose and repair such damage.

Perry